Achnacarry was requisitioned by the British Government in 1942 and used as the principal
training ground for the world famous Commandos and other troops from around the world.
Its remote location, rugged terrain, mountains and unpredictable weather provided
an excellent environment for the secret Commando training. Achnacarry left an indelible
impression on those who passed through its doors. Col Charles E Vaughan, the Commandant,
was known by some trainees as 'Rommel of the North' because of his strict discipline
and rigorous training regime. However few had any doubts about the value of the training
when they found themselves in action against the enemy.
During the war and while Achnacarry was being restored after it was burnt by the
Commandos the chief and his family lived in nearby Clunes Lodge. The Commandos are
commemorated by the well known memorial on the hillside above Spean Bridge. It was
built in 1951 and unveiled by the Late Queen Elizabeth, mother of the present Queen.