Achnacarry Sporting & Country Pursuits




Achnacarry Castle was built in 1802-5 by James Gillespie Graham (a well known Scottish architect) for Donald Cameron, 22nd chief of Clan Cameron. It sits beside the River Arkaig overlooking a 17th century park. It was Gillespie Graham’s first country house in the Gothic Revival style in the West Highlands. Work to the house was abandoned in 1805 and it lay as an empty shell until 1837 when it was completed for the 23rd chief to the designs of William Burn, another well known Scottish architect. Stables were built in 1860 and a service wing was added in 1872. The house was almost destroyed by the Commandos whose war time base this was from 1942 to the end of the Second World War. The present house was restored by Ian Lindsay between 1947-52 and redecorated by Walter Schomberg Scott since when it has been permanently occupied by the chief and his family.